Charlie's Angel

It was once upon a time that the slightest noise would wake me up. I was a very light sleeper. Even when my most beloved Freida would come sneaking up on me, I would just pretend to be surprised and shocked. The tinkling of her giggles, the smile on her little face was worth the drama. Nobody could have been as charming as her.

I still remember the day when she first arrived home. Everyone was captivated by her, so delicate. I was not old enough then and Dad wouldn't let me go to her. I would simply sit there and watch everyone pamper her. I admit now that I did feel jealous and neglected. After all I was here first, wasn't I?

It took some time for the hullabaloo to settle down and then they agreed that I was responsible enough. Mom was apprehensive, Dad was hopeful and I was nervous. She was there, all wrapped up and snugly sitting in Mom's arms. As I went closer, Mom held her protectively, waiting for some reaction. She put out a tiny hand and I knew we were going to be together a long long time. 

As days flew by, we were inseparable. Every little adventure little Freida had, I was there with her. She was the naughtiest of the lot, said all the aunties down the lane. But my Freida with her big brown eyes was the best, no one had the heart to scold her. We hopped and skipped in the backyard. We played ball. I'd even taught Freida to swim in the little pool that Dad built us one summer. Freida got her new red bicycle for her birthday and soon we were chasing squirrels straight up the trees. 

Then came the School. I have never really understood why it was so important for Freida to go there. However much I tried to convince Mom and Dad, they were adamant about it. I hadn't been to any school. It wasn't like that made me any less smart or misbehaved. Freida cried a lot. School was big and scary. And there were so many children. My Freida would get lost in the crowd I said, and all that Dad gave me was a stern stare.

It took me some while to adjust . Despite all these years my life still  feels like a big black hole when Freida isn't at home. 

My name is Charlie. I am 12 years old. Read that as 70 if you are Hooman like my Mum n Dad. I've been sitting here by the door like a log for the last hour. Nothing unusual actually, this has been my routine from the day School took my Freida. She should arrive soon, I can feel it in my old bones. I cannot see very well though but I know she is beautiful and she lights up wherever she goes. She is my Angel.

*whistles*

"Where's my boy? Where's my baby?"

"Duh Freida...I'm a lot older than you... Woof!! "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Outside the window

White Orchids

Furthest from Home